Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 4–0 Frickley Athletic

Sunday 11/09/2016

Hednesford Town comprehensively defeated a Frickley Athletic side that would have been pleased to only concede four goals during a game which was dominated by the home team.

The Pitmen started very much on the front foot against a side that had yet to pick up a point in the league, with Simeon Maye just being unable to connect with a cross when he found himself unmarked inside the box.

Things could have been very different though if Frickley had taken their first chance of the game in the seventh minute when Cameron Rigby fired in a low effort that just beat the upright.

In the 17th minute Hednesford almost made the breakthrough when Sean Geddes fired in a shot that beat goalkeeper Sebastian Malkowski but struck the crossbar before rebounding back to Maye who saw his header claimed on the line by the shot stopper.

Three minutes later the visitors pressed again and only a good block first by Lewis Wright and then James Mutton denied Frickley getting a shot on target.

It would be the Pitmen that would strike first though in the 25th minute when they were awarded a penalty as George Carline was judged to have been impeded in the area. Up stepped striker Danny Glover to bury his spot-kick into the bottom corner of the net.

Nine minutes later the home side doubled their lead – thanks to a second penalty. Striker Jamie Matthews did well to steal the ball off defender Jack Waters and just as he was about to shoot, the Frickley man felled him in the area, receiving a red card for his misdemeanours. Glover once again stepped up to send Malkowski the wrong way and make it 2-0.

The home side continued to press and right on the stroke of half-time almost added a third when Glover’s cross picked out Matthews but his header was easily saved before Carline headed an effort well wide of the upright to bring the half to a close.

Half Time: 2-0

Hednesford would find themselves three goals to the good 12 minutes into the second period when the lively Cohen Bramall burst down the left and picked out Carline with a ‘rabona’ cross and the midfielder headed home from six yards out.

A minute later Gurjit Singh found himself free in the box but his low shot was excellently turned behind by Malkowski.

The Pitmen continued to press and with his first action after coming onto the pitch, Joel Logan almost added a fourth as he cut inside from the left of the pitch before seeing his shot saved in the 69th minute.

Logan was once again soon in the thick of the action as he first curled an effort just wide of the upright in the 76th minute before seeing another shot saved for a corner four minutes later.

Five minutes from time Carline should really have added a second to his tally when Bramall got to the byline and picked out the midfielder but he fired wide at the near post.

The one way traffic was temporarily halted in the 86th minute as Town goalkeeper Lloyd Ransome was forced into his first save of the game when Luke Hinsley fired in an effort from the edge of the box.

It would be Hednesford that would finish the game very much on the front foot though and they added a fourth goal in the second minute of stoppage time as Ashley Sammons played in Singh who confidently shot home from just inside the penalty area.

Hednesford Town: Ransome, Wright, Bramall, Maye (Singh 42), Mutton, Flanagan, Geddes, Thorley, Glover (Sammons 74), Matthews (Logan 67), Carline

Subs not used: Crane, Williams

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Parkinson, Grant (Palmer 72), Waters, Meynell, Valentine, Rigby (Kabaye 60), Hinsley, Curtis, Gascoigne, Williams (Hana 65)

Subs not used: Burton, Diggles

Attendance: 401

Star Man: Danny Glover

Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts